Thursday, July 8, 2010

Sushi (Well Blue C Sushi)

One of our dining out spots I didn't mention in an earlier post is Blue C Sushi. This is actually one of my kids favorite places to go. I admit, it's one of the places I preferred around our area too. Until going gluten-free.

(Side Note: Now while I was traveling for work, I went to some amazing sushi places that can't even be put in the same category as Blue C Sushi.)

We ventured into Blue C over the weekend and I had an idea of what I could and couldn't have. Prior to GF I had my standard line up: Philadelphia Rolls, lobster Rolls, California Rolls, edamame, and seared ahi. I knew the lobster rolls I love were now off limits because the "lobster" was deep fried. Philadelphia rolls should be fine because it's just cream cheese, salmon and cucumber. California rolls I wasn't sure because it's crab meat. Seared ahi, yes, totally fine but the ginger sauce that comes with it that I LOVE, wasn't sure.

Initially I just asked our waitress if she knew if the California Rolls had gluten. She said yes, anything with a "k" for krab instead of crab is imitation and had gluten. She offered me a gluten-free menu. Yes! So excited.
The menu only had a few things I would actually eat. They could offer me California Rolls but with snow crab, crab with a "c" instead of a "k". I ordered and so ended up so disappointed. The snow crab was ice cold. Presumably it was frozen, but it was lacking the creamy mayo base the regular krab roll had. Overall not worth it.

I wish I would have taken a picture of the menu. It was basically a lot of raw rolls, nothing with any real taste. The Philadelphia rolls were on the gf menu along with the ahi and edamame. The ginger sauce I love with ahi wasn't on the gf menu and I didn't even ask the waitress about it bc I am assuming it is soy sauce based which soy sauce has gluten, unless it specifically says gluten-free, which I am not going to find in restaurants.

I won't be choosing Blue C as my choice for eating out in the future. I would rather get the calories from food with flavor.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I was just diagnosed with celiac last month. Don't know the date, as I was traveling when my doctor emailed me with the surprise news. I was debating about going to Blue C tonight. So disappointing that their "gluten free" menu is so bland. No excuse for this. Gluten-free soy and mayo, real defrosted crab, and no crunchy tempura stuff on the outside of the rolls (use fish roe instead), and you could have super tasty gluten-free sushi treats.

    ReplyDelete